Saturday, November 26, 2011

THE WAR AGAINST X-MAS



Once again, I have been bombarded with chain emails and messages from people crying about the "War on Christmas." Instead of seeing the use of phrases like Season's Greetings and Happy Holidays as an attempt to be more inclusive, they see it as a full frontal assault on Christ and Christians. "They're taking the Christ out of Christmas!"

This year I received an old chain email telling me that...

"Apparently the White House referred to Christmas Trees as Holiday Trees for the first time this year which prompted CBS presenter, Ben Stein, to present this piece which I would like to share with you. I think it applies just as much to many countries as it does to America."

What follows (in the chain email) is a conglomeration of comments and phrases uttered by Ben Stein over the years. I won't bore you with it, but basically he says, "I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejeweled trees, Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are, Christmas trees."

I have no axe to grind with Ben Stein, but they make it seem like he commented recently about the White House Holiday Tree issue when in fact these quotes are old and completely unrelated to anything.

What bothers me the most about these chain emails is that they don't even bother to check the facts. They just send them out to unsuspecting Christian people that read the headline and get their panties in a bunch. Then my ring wing christian family and friends forward the messages to me like they are Woodward and Bernstein.

Well, here's the truth of it. I checked the official White House Blog. Here is what I found. A headline that reads...


If you click on the above link, you will find a nice article about the White House CHRISTMAS TREE arriving.

In fact, there's a video, too. It's the first lady receiving the CHRISTMAS TREE.




The irony, of course, is that I wouldn't care if the White House called it a holiday tree. It's just isn't true. Not even a little.

0 comments:

Post a Comment