Sunday, December 4, 2011

THE TRUTH ABOUT SELF CHECKOUT

Self-serving attitude

 Many convenience stores and supermarkets have dedicated a single lane -- sometimes two or more -- to Self Checkout. In fact, I was in a CVS store that forced a large crowd of customers through the Self Checkout lanes and didn't offer the option of a conventional check out experience. The truth is, I don't like self-service checkouts. I have a philosophical problem with them. It's the same reason I don't like buffets. The short version is this... SERVICE is the last thing left to sell in this world. Service. It's not about price. It's not about choice. It's about service. You want me to shop in your store and then you me to do the job of the checker, too? I don't think so.

Shouldn't she be filling out that check?
Stores aren't offering a discount to customers who use it. You pay the same, except you scan it, bag it and process the transaction yourself. Bullshit. If I come to your store and spend my hard earned money, you're going to add it all up for me and put it in a bag. It's the very least you can do. A lot of people see this technology as a convenience. It's quicker. It's easier. You don't have to wait as long.


That may be so, but service is important.  Sometimes I wish people understood that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment